0.8 - OCF support in openssl

Will Tatam
In the past voyage distributed their own version of openssl with OCF
enabled, (e.g http://uk.voyage.hk/dists/0.6/openssl/) but for voyage 0.8
this support appears to be missing

Could someone please build a OCF enabled version of openssl for voyage
0.8 please

Will Tatam

Re: 0.8 - OCF support in openssl

who ami
Hello Will,

I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:

http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075

BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
10.03.1 release.

cheers

On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, Will Tatam wrote:

> In the past voyage distributed their own version of openssl with OCF
> enabled, (e.g http://uk.voyage.hk/dists/0.6/openssl/) but for voyage
> 0.8 this support appears to be missing
>
> Could someone please build a OCF enabled version of openssl for voyage
> 0.8 please
>
> Will Tatam

Re: 0.8 - OCF support in openssl

Will Tatam
Hi John

Any chance you could email me or post online somewhere the packages you
managed to build ?

Will

On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, John Coltrane wrote:

> Hello Will,
>
> I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
> has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:
>
> http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075
>
> BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
> 10.03.1 release.
>
> cheers
>

> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, Will Tatam wrote:
>> In the past voyage distributed their own version of openssl with OCF
>> enabled, (e.g http://uk.voyage.hk/dists/0.6/openssl/) but for voyage
>> 0.8 this support appears to be missing
>>
>> Could someone please build a OCF enabled version of openssl for voyage
>> 0.8 please
>>
>> Will Tatam

On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, John Coltrane wrote:

> Hello Will,
>
> I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
> has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:
>
> http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075
>
> BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
> 10.03.1 release.
>
> cheers
>

> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, Will Tatam wrote:
>> In the past voyage distributed their own version of openssl with OCF
>> enabled, (e.g http://uk.voyage.hk/dists/0.6/openssl/) but for voyage
>> 0.8 this support appears to be missing
>>
>> Could someone please build a OCF enabled version of openssl for voyage
>> 0.8 please
>>
>> Will Tatam

Re: 0.8 - OCF support in openssl

who ami
Hi Will,

I'm sorry. The .deb's I have built are lost :-(

John

On 07/20/2012 04:36 PM, Will Tatam wrote:

> Hi John
>
> Any chance you could email me or post online somewhere the packages
> you managed to build ?
>
> Will
>
> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, John Coltrane wrote:
>> Hello Will,
>>
>> I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
>> has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:
>>
>> http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075
>>

>> BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
>> 10.03.1 release.
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, Will Tatam wrote:
>>> In the past voyage distributed their own version of openssl with OCF
>>> enabled, (e.g http://uk.voyage.hk/dists/0.6/openssl/) but for voyage
>>> 0.8 this support appears to be missing
>>>
>>> Could someone please build a OCF enabled version of openssl for voyage
>>> 0.8 please
>>>
>>> Will Tatam

> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, John Coltrane wrote:
>> Hello Will,
>>
>> I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
>> has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:
>>
>> http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075
>>

>> BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
>> 10.03.1 release.
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, Will Tatam wrote:
>>> In the past voyage distributed their own version of openssl with OCF
>>> enabled, (e.g http://uk.voyage.hk/dists/0.6/openssl/) but for voyage
>>> 0.8 this support appears to be missing
>>>
>>> Could someone please build a OCF enabled version of openssl for voyage
>>> 0.8 please
>>>
>>> Will Tatam

Re: 0.8 - OCF support in openssl

Will Tatam
Hi John

After a bit of messing about, I did manage to get them to build.

What's the score with getting OCF support back into the main voyage repo ?

Will

On 07/20/2012 07:45 PM, John Coltrane wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> I'm sorry. The .deb's I have built are lost :-(
>
> John
>

> On 07/20/2012 04:36 PM, Will Tatam wrote:
>> Hi John
>>
>> Any chance you could email me or post online somewhere the packages
>> you managed to build ?
>>
>> Will
>>
>> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, John Coltrane wrote:
>>> Hello Will,
>>>
>>> I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
>>> has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:
>>>
>>> http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075
>>>

>>> BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
>>> 10.03.1 release.
>>>
>>> cheers

>> On 07/19/2012 03:31 PM, John Coltrane wrote:
>>> Hello Will,
>>>
>>> I had the same question some months ago. Michael Fung replied, that he
>>> has an article in his wiki dealing with this topic:
>>>
>>> http://www.3open.org/d/voyage/enable_hardware_encryption?&#for_voyage_075
>>>

>>> BTW, in x86 OpenWRT is full OCF support incorporated in the recent
>>> 10.03.1 release.
>>>
>>> cheers

Re: 0.8 - OCF support in openssl

Teco Boot
I tried patched OpenSSL with OpenVPN.

On daily, I had problems getting it to work. In Wheezy, libssl /
openssl is updated to 1.0.1. No OCF-Linux patches here (yet).
OpenSSL 1.0.1 has better support for HW acceleration, but nothing
in place for geode-aes. The AF_ALG didn't work, either, I can give
it a try later.
I tried the patched OpenSSL from Squeeze (0.9.8o-4squeeze1-ocf1).
Because many dependencies with libssl1.0.1, it failed.

On Voyage 0.8.0, I can use the 0.9.8o-4squeeze1-ocf1, with OpenVPN
using cryptodev, On Alix LX800. Performance tests did not show a
better throughput (about 10Mbps, using iperf).
With scp I get easily 18Mbps.

My findings are disappointing. Lack of support of OCF-Linux in newer
OpenSSL releases, and bad performance. I expect AF_ALG has even worse
performance than OCF-Linux.

Other, more positive outcomes?

Teco

Op 21 jul. 2012, om 21:01 heeft Will Tatam het volgende geschreven:

> Hi John
>
> After a bit of messing about, I did manage to get them to build.
>
> What's the score with getting OCF support back into the main voyage repo ?
>
> Will
>
> On 07/20/2012 07:45 PM, John Coltrane wrote:
>> Hi Will,
>>
>> I'm sorry. The .deb's I have built are lost :-(
>>
>> John
>>

>> On 07/20/2012 04:36 PM, Will Tatam wrote:
>>> Hi John
>>>
>>> Any chance you could email me or post online somewhere the packages
>>> you managed to build ?
>>>
>>> Will

Re: 0.8 - OCF support in openssl

Will Tatam
Hi Teco

Did you ever manage to resolve these issues to get the HW acceleration working with openssl 1.0.1 ?

Will

On 27/07/12 15:51, Teco Boot wrote:
[...]

No, I didn't see much improved performance.
Currently, I use OpenVPN-NL, because it uses PolarSSL and is stripped for insecure options.. There is no HW acceleration in PolarSSL. AFAIR almost same performance as OpenSSL libs.

scp in vpn tunnel: you can guess the result.

Teco

Op 7 apr. 2015, om 17:51 heeft Will Tatam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven: