2.6.30: shorewall and ath5k

Robert Vollmert
Hello,

today I upgraded to linux-image-2.6.30-486-voyage from voyage
experimental and configured my router as a WPA2 access point with ath5k.

There were two problems; I'm posting so others don't have to spend
time tracking these down.

1. shorewall failed to start with 2.6.30

This is because 'iptables -D' fails to delete some routes --
apparently some calls that shorewall makes aren't legal anymore.
Upgrading shorewall to version 4.4.3 from debian testing solved this.

If 0.7 will be based on lenny, perhaps including an updated shorewall
would be a good idea.

2. compiling compat-wireless for the voyage kernel had problems with
the version magic

I installed linux-headers-2.6.30-voyage and linked /lib/modules/
2.6.30-486-voyage/build to /usr/src/linux-headers/2.6.30-voyage.
compat-wireless built fine, but the install went to /lib/modules/
2.6.30-voyage, and the modules had the wrong version magic causing
them to not be loadable.

This I fixed by replacing "2.6.30-voyage" by "2.6.30-486-voyage" in /
usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-voyage/include/linux/utsrelease.h. (Also
in include/config/kernel.release as a first try but I think
utsrelease.h is the important one.)

Did I do something wrong here? Should the header package be different,
or should one pass some configuration variables to the compat-wireless
makefile?

After this, I got one crash with a strangely configure hostapd, but
for the last couple of hours, I've had an apparently stable ath5k
access point.

One question: Is wireless performance likely to improve if I properly
mount the antenna? Currently it's just hanging out of the enclosure by
its cable, which unfortunately doesn't have a cut-out for mounting an
antenna.

Cheers
Robert