Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader

cotarelo2
Hi,

From what I read in the forums seems that the only kernel version / ath5k wifi module that was working good on an ALIX with miniPCI was the voyage 0.7.

However, the PXE boot is not working in a 0.7 version, and I can't access the daily when it was fixed. Since I don't have a CF card. What's the way to install 0.7 on an Alix runninng 0.9.5? This hardware doesn't have usb boot.

Many thanks

Re: Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader

tux john
In order to install voyage without a cf reader, what i do is:
-in a laptop/pc i boot from live cd
-when booted then i plug an ethernet cable between laptop/pc and the ALIX machine.
-then in laptop/pc i type /etc/init.d/voyage-pxe start 38400
-in ALIX i choose the pxe in tinybios and save it.
-when the ALIX starts then i choose the option to install automatically in ALIX, usually option 3.
-when done unplug the cables and reboot ALIX to disable PXE.
-you are done.

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 at 2:16 PM
From: cotarelo2 <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Voyage-linux] Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader
Hi,

From what I read in the forums seems that the only kernel version / ath5k
wifi module that was working good on an ALIX with miniPCI was the voyage
0.7.

However, the PXE boot is not working in a 0.7 version, and I can't access
the daily when it was fixed. Since I don't have a CF card. What's the way to
install 0.7 on an Alix runninng 0.9.5? This hardware doesn't have usb boot.

Many thanks

Re: Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader

cotarelo2
Yes, I know the process :)

But in the version 0.7 the PXE boot is broken.

Re: Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader

Michael Steinmann
instead of enabling and disabling PXE in the settings of the alix before and afterwards, simply press 'n' while the RAM is counting and it boots to PXE.

Best regards,
Michael Steinmann

Yes, I know the process :)

But in the version 0.7 the PXE boot is broken.

Re: Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader

Kim-man 'Punky' TSE-2
On 8/6/2015 11:04 PM, cotarelo2 wrote:
> Yes, I know the process :)
>
> But in the version 0.7 the PXE boot is broken.

Since 0.7 is a Debian squeeze, you could try if PXE boot works on 0.7.5, 0.8.0 or 0.8.5.  After PXE boot install, fall
back the kernel to linux-image-2.6.32-voyage_8.0-1 and madwifi-trunk 0.9.4+r4132trunk.20100921-1 and may some other
madwifi utils package

Kernel version for corresponding voyage version could be found in:
http://svn.voyage.hk/repos/voyage/branches/voyage-live/0.8.5/config/chroot_local-includes/CHANGELOG

You should also review the changelog to re-engineer 0.7.0.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: Installing voyage 0.7 without CF reader

cotarelo2
Thank you for the answer.

I don't know how to fall back the kernel to linux-image-2.6.32-voyage_8.0-1

I read in the post that you fixed that on a daily. Is it possible to rebuild that image? how?