No surround sound from MuBox/CuBox HDMI audio ouput

No surround sound from MuBox/CuBox HDMI audio ouput

masayk
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I bumped into this problem and still could not get multichannel audio output from HDMI. From what I get from aplay -L it seems that the ALSA default sound device is set to USBDAC (hw:2.0) and assign surround50 to USBAUDIO instead of HDMI (hw:0.0).

root@voyage-mubox:~# aplay -L
null
sysdefault:CARD=DWHDMI
    DW-HDMI, dw-hdmi-audio
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=SPDIF
    Integrated SPDIF,
sysdefault:CARD=UDAC32RD
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
front:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

The mystery is that all the three audio output (HDMI, SPDIF, and USBDAC) are all read as "default" sequentially and then the last read audio ouput (USBDAC) is bind to all multichannel resources.

I then tried modifying ~/.asoundrc to explicitly declare HDMI as the default card by

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

but the results remains the same...

I then tried making changes to ~/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to demote USBDAC as the first read card (so that HDMI card to be read afterwords to gain right to bind mulichannel) as below

# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2

but the results remains the same...

I am at a loss... anybody has any clue please ...?

Cheers,
masayk

Re: No surround sound from MuBox/CuBox HDMI audio ouput

chris hermansen
Masayk and list,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM, masayk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I bumped into this problem and still could not get multichannel audio output
from HDMI. From what I get from aplay -L it seems that the ALSA default
sound device is set to USBDAC (hw:2.0) and assign surround50 to USBAUDIO
instead of HDMI (hw:0.0).

stuff deleted

I am at a loss... anybody has any clue please ...?

I don't have any direct help for you; I only use my cubox-i4 for 2 channel mpd.

But, have you read the Alsa configuration docs?

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

Also various linux distros have varying amounts of alsa configuration info (Arch Linux, for example); though sadly a lot of them hide Alsa behind Pulse, which is a fine general purpose interface but completely misses the boat for people who want to play their music back at its native resolution.

If you are only using mpd you can through-configure alsa using the mpd config file; probably also the same with various video players.

Assuming you have checked out the above, have you asked on the Alsa list?

Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.