Re: HDMI not detected by ALSA on MuBox

Punky Tse-2
On 2/26/2015 2:19 PM, Kawate Masayuki wrote:
> There seems no problem in HDMI connection as I can see login prompt on my TV screen. How do I get my HDMI audio output
> enabled?
You need at least 3.17 or 3.18 kernel.  Just pick a 3.17 or 3.18 kernel from this link:

http://mirror.voyage.hk/download/voyage-mubox/cubox-i/

To install it, e.g.
cd ~
wget http://mirror.voyage.hk/download/voyage-mubox/cubox-i/kernel-cubox-i-3.18.2~fc20+.tar.xz
tar -Jxf kernel-cubox-i-3.18.2~fc20+.tar.xz -C /
sync
reboot

After reboot you would see HDMI audo listed as first ALSA device (i.e. hw:0,0):

root@voyage-mubox:~# uname -a
Linux voyage-mubox 3.18.2~fc20+ #8 SMP Wed Feb 18 13:50:44 HKT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

root@voyage-mubox:~# aplay -l
card 0: DWHDMI [DW-HDMI], device 0: DW HDMI [dw-hdmi-audio]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SPDIF [Integrated SPDIF], device 0: S/PDIF PCM snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 []
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: HDMI not detected by ALSA on MuBox

masayk
Hi Punky,

Thank you for your suggestion. After updating to 3.18 kernel I was able to see HDMI audio as first ALSA device. It is great that it supports 96/24 and even 192/24 PCM!

Then I encountered another problem - the audio from HDMI connection seems to support only stereo and not multichannel. How can I play multichannel (e.g. flac 5.1ch source) through HDMI?

From below it seems that surround is assigned to USBDAC(UDAC32RD), not HDMI. How cam I change it?

root@voyage-mubox:~# aplay -L
null
default:CARD=DWHDMI
    DW-HDMI, dw-hdmi-audio
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=DWHDMI
    DW-HDMI, dw-hdmi-audio
default:CARD=SPDIF
    Integrated SPDIF,
sysdefault:CARD=SPDIF
    Integrated SPDIF,
default:CARD=UDAC32RD
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
sysdefault:CARD=UDAC32RD
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
front:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
    UDAC32RD, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
root@voyage-mubox:~#

Cheers,
masayk

On 2/26/2015 9:26 PM, masayk wrote:
> Although ALSA detects three audio outputs (HDMI, SPDIF, and USBDAC) but I
> cannot find a way to enable all of them at the same time. I did some tweaks
> on mpd.conf but it did not help. How can I enable them so that I have ALSA
> 1, ALSA 2, and ALSA 3?
Edit /etc/mpd.conf and add 3rd ALSA device for hw:2,0

audio_output {
         type            "alsa"
         name            "My ALSA Device 3"
         device          "hw:2,0"
#       format          "44100:16:2"

#       priority        "FIFO:32"
}

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: HDMI not detected by ALSA on MuBox

Punky Tse-2
Hi masayk

May be you should post your question to CuBox-i Forum (http://www.solid-run.com/community/viewforum.php?f=7).

On 2/27/2015 12:31 AM, masayk wrote:

> Hi Punky,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. After updating to 3.18 kernel I was able to
> see HDMI audio as first ALSA device. It is great that it supports 96/24 and
> even 192/24 PCM!
>
> Then I encountered another problem - the audio from HDMI connection seems to
> support only stereo and not multichannel. How can I play multichannel (e.g.
> flac 5.1ch source) through HDMI?
>
> >From below it seems that surround is assigned to USBDAC(UDAC32RD), not HDMI.
> How cam I change it?
>
> root@voyage-mubox:~# aplay -L
> null
>      Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=DWHDMI
>      DW-HDMI, dw-hdmi-audio
>      Default Audio Device
> sysdefault:CARD=DWHDMI
>      DW-HDMI, dw-hdmi-audio
>      Default Audio Device
> default:CARD=SPDIF
>      Integrated SPDIF,
>      Default Audio Device
> sysdefault:CARD=SPDIF
>      Integrated SPDIF,
>      Default Audio Device
> default:CARD=UDAC32RD
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      Default Audio Device
> sysdefault:CARD=UDAC32RD
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=UDAC32RD,DEV=0
>      UDAC32RD, USB Audio
>      IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> root@voyage-mubox:~#
>

> Cheers,
> masayk

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: HDMI not detected by ALSA on MuBox

masayk
Hi  Punky,

Thank you for your reply. Yes this one I could resolve by myself. Now I enjoy all three audio outputs (HDMI, SPDIF, and USBDAC) at the same time!

Cheers,
masayk

Re: HDMI not detected by ALSA on MuBox

masayk
Hi Punky,

OK I will post my HDMI multichannel output issue to SolidRun forum... It would be a perfect audio transport if Cubox/Mubox could play multichannel sources through HDMI.

Cheers,
masayk