Voyage 0.11 and SDHC kernel/driver problem

Voyage 0.11 and SDHC kernel/driver problem

Erik van Linstee
I have been experimenting with Voyage current (0.11) lately and found that there is a problem with the SDHC driver. At least with fast SD card, such as the PcEngines pSLC SD. There are frequent time-outs which sometimes lead to the system freezing.

I have installed the 4.9 kernel from Jessie backports and so far the problem has not returned.

Re: Voyage 0.11 and SDHC kernel/driver problem

Kim-man 'Punky' TSE-2
Hi Erik,

Please check if this kernel (32-bit only) fix for you:

http://mirror.voyage.hk/dists/experimental/linux/linux-image-4.9.25-voyage_18.0-1_i386.deb

Can you check if /etc/modprobe.d/* has the following lines?  If not, add it and run update-initramfs, reboot.

options sdhci debug_quirks=0x40

Regards,
Punky

On 4/5/2017 3:45 PM, Erik van Linstee wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Voyage current (0.11) lately and found that
> there is a problem with the SDHC driver. At least with fast SD card, such as
> the PcEngines pSLC SD. There are frequent time-outs which sometimes lead to
> the system freezing.
>
> I have installed the 4.9 kernel from Jessie backports and so far the problem
> has not returned.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

On 07-06-17 05:45, Kim-man 'Punky' TSE wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Please check if this kernel (32-bit only) fix for you:
>
> http://mirror.voyage.hk/dists/experimental/linux/linux-image-4.9.25-voyage_18.0-1_i386.deb

Thanks, but...

when I posted my messages I received error messages about the list and
your account not being available. There also seemed to be hardly any
work being done on Voyage Linux.

Also, I need 64-bit.

So I started with building kernel 4.9.18, which was current for Jessie
at the time. I replaced your kernel package with this and that worked
well. I did not use the quirks.

Then I did what I had been wanting to do for a long time, but never did
since I could not justify the time, and that is investigate the Debian
live build system.

The result is that I now have my own live build that produces a complete
system exactly as I need it. Before that I started with Voyage and then
removed what I did not need and added what I did.

In the process I also cleaned up the initramfs-tools, because that kept
complaining that fsck.ext2 was not available. I did this by adding a
file to config/includes.chroot/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks with the
contents below. It makes sure fsck.ext2 is included in the initramfs
everytime it is rebuilt.
By doing so, the system can now do a fsck on the rootfs before it is
mounted.

I also improved some other parts that had some minor defects, such as
"voyage-util stop" giving an error on the directories that had write
access, by where not included when syncing.

----
#!/bin/sh

PREREQ=""

prereqs()
{
   echo "$PREREQ"
}

case $1 in
# get pre-requisites
prereqs)
   prereqs
   exit 0
   ;;
esac

. /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hook-functions

# TODO Get fs type from some profile file.
for type in ext2; do
     prog="/sbin/fsck.${type}"
     if [ -h "$prog" ]; then
         link=$(readlink -f "$prog")
         copy_exec "$link"
         ln -s "$link" "${DESTDIR}/$prog"
     elif [ -x "$prog" ] ; then
         copy_exec "$prog"
     else
         echo "Warning: /sbin/fsck.${type} doesn't exist, can't install
to initramfs, ignoring."
     fi
done