Voyage Current Default Password

Bill Wayson-2
I've just downloaded, installed, and am running voyage-mpd-current.tar.xz.  The documented default password for root, "voyage", does not work when using ssh. It did work when using the Meshlium interface.  Punky, do you remember what it is?  Or, is something else going on?  Thanks!

Bill W

Re: Voyage Current Default Password

Bill Wayson-2
I was able to log into a new installation from voyage-mpd-current.tar.xz as root.  I had to change one line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  The line, under the Authentication: section, originally was "PermitRootLogin without-password".  I changed it to read "PermitRootLogin yes", the same as it read from my previous voyage-mpd system.  A quick read of an article found on the internet implied setting this to "yes" was a security problem.  Given that my voyage-mpd system is visible only to my internal home network, I am not too worried about this.  If someone knows of a good discussion on how to set up better ssh security, I'd read it.

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:48 PM, Bill Wayson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've just downloaded, installed, and am running voyage-mpd-current.tar.xz.  The documented default password for root, "voyage", does not work when using ssh. It did work when using the Meshlium interface.  Punky, do you remember what it is?  Or, is something else going on?  Thanks!

Bill W

Re: Voyage Current Default Password

Kim-man 'Punky' TSE-2
Hi Bill,

Thank you for testing the daily and letting me know this issue. This should fixed in the next few days.  In addtion to
PermitRootLogin, I found PasswordAuthentication is required to set to yes too.

The following 2 lines will be modified as default.

PermitRootLogin yes
PasswordAuthentication yes

Regards,
Punky

On 3/22/2015 7:15 AM, Bill Wayson wrote:

> I was able to log into a new installation from voyage-mpd-current.tar.xz as root.  I had to change one line in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config. The line, under the Authentication: section, originally was "PermitRootLogin without-password".
> I changed it to read "PermitRootLogin yes", the same as it read from my previous voyage-mpd system.  A quick read of
> an article found on the internet implied setting this to "yes" was a security problem.  Given that my voyage-mpd
> system is visible only to my internal home network, I am not too worried about this.  If someone knows of a good
> discussion on how to set up better ssh security, I'd read it.
>

> On Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:48 PM, Bill Wayson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I've just downloaded, installed, and am running voyage-mpd-current.tar.xz
> <http://mirror.voyage.hk/download/voyage-mpd/voyage-mpd-current.tar.xz>. The documented default password for root,
> "voyage", does not work when using ssh. It did work when using the Meshlium interface.  Punky, do you remember what it
> is?  Or, is something else going on?  Thanks!
>
> Bill W

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)