Voyage MPD 0.10.0 - sound distortion

mic

Voyage MPD 0.10.0 - sound distortion

mic
Kim-man,

I am experiencing sound distortion when
playing hi-res files (>96khz) with the
release in subject. The converter is T+A
DAC8 connected through USB port.
This is issue was not present with the
older release I was using before (0.9.2).
Do you have any suggestion to solve this?

Re: Voyage MPD 0.10.0 - sound distortion

Kim-man 'Punky' TSE-2
If you are using NAS, try adding rsize=8192 in the mount option in /etc/fstab, e.g.:

10.1.10.1:/music /mnt/public nfs rw,noatime,nfsvers=3,intr,rsize=8192 0 0

This option works for both CIFS and NFS too.   It limits the socket buffer to 8K, thus reducing packet burst sending to
your box when mpd is loading the music files.  From my experience in old CuBox, the packet burst could cause music
distortion.

Just for information, what hardware do you run Voyage MPD?

In addition, Voyage MPD 0.9.5 (with mpd 0.17.6, 3.14 rt kernel) is by far the most satisfactory version for me.
Although 0.10 is now with mpd 0.19.9 and Debain Jessie, it needs more time to fine-tune and stabilize.

I am now trying to back port 0.17.6 to Jessie.

Regards,
Punky

On 5/13/2015 12:41 PM, mic wrote:

> Kim-man,
>
> I am experiencing sound distortion when
> playing hi-res files (>96khz) with the
> release in subject. The converter is T+A
> DAC8 connected through USB port.
> This is issue was not present with the
> older release I was using before (0.9.2).
> Do you have any suggestion to solve this?

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

mic

Kim-man 'Punky' TSE <punkytse@...> writes:

> If you are using NAS, try adding rsize=8192 in the mount option in /etc/
fstab, e.g.:

> 10.1.10.1:/music /mnt/public nfs rw,noatime,nfsvers=3,intr,rsize=8192 0 0
>
> This option works for both CIFS and NFS too.   It limits the socket
buffer to 8K, thus reducing packet burst
> sending to
> your box when mpd is loading the music files.  From my experience in old
CuBox, the packet burst could cause
> music
> distortion.
>
> Just for information, what hardware do you run Voyage MPD?
>
> In addition, Voyage MPD 0.9.5 (with mpd 0.17.6, 3.14 rt kernel) is by far
the most satisfactory version for
> me.
> Although 0.10 is now with mpd 0.19.9 and Debain Jessie, it needs more
time to fine-tune and stabilize.

> I am now trying to back port 0.17.6 to Jessie.
>
> Regards,
> Punky

Kim-Man

I have followed your instructions but I did not solve the issue.
My hardware is made by ALIX3D2 pcb and Iomega NAS mounted as Samba.
Installation was done through live CD.

MPD 0.10.0
I added the rsize option in fstab but after rebooting I was not able to
connect to the server.
The three leds on the rear side of the ALIX remained off.

MPD 0.9.5
First of all I tried without adding the rsize option in fstab.
Even with this release I had the same trouble. I was able to detect right
sound only with 44khz files.
Then I added the rsize as above but also in this case, after reboot, server
did not respond.

Probably I am making a mistake when adding the rsize otion (I am not a
Linux expert), in any case even with 0.9.5 which should be the more "tuned"
version the sound issue is always present.
I look forward your feeback.

Thanks in advance

mic

Re: Voyage MPD 0.10.0 - sound distortion

mic
Hello to everybody.
I am coming back with the issue in subject since not yet solved and no any feedback from my latest post.
It seems that the issue is more general and is related to the usb chip inside my dac. The chip is Tenor TE8802 so, first of all I would like to know if there is someone who had success when playing hires file using a converter which has this chip.
I have noted, using  cat /proc/asound/card/stream that the momentary frequency value is not stable and jumps up and down. Any advice?

Re: Voyage MPD 0.10.0 - sound distortion

Davor Herga
Hello,

Is this happening on other Linux distros also?
I would say this has more to do with the TE8802 chip working or not
working with ALSA.
If I remember correctly there were problems with TE8802 and ALSA at the
launch of the chip, it wouldn't surprise me, that the problem lies in
the TE8802 firmware.
Initial problem was solved by people at ALSA project, but it seems that
at that time, no HiRes files were tested.
I would advise you to contact people at ALSA project.

Davor.

mic

Re: Voyage MPD 0.10.0 - sound distortion

mic
Davor,
searching on the web it seems that someone has already solved this issue through a patch to add.
Here below the link to the page where this patch is discussed (the code is at the end of the page).
What about the possibility to include it in voyage mpd kernel in order to test it?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?93310-Async-USB-Dac-Experiments-testers-wanted/page30&styleid=4