building the voyage kernel

David Murray
Hi,

I am currently using the experimental build of voyage because I want to use open 802.11s which only comes with the latest kernel. However, I also want to try out Layer 2 batman or batman experimental which requires the kernel headers. As there are no headers for my kernel (2.6.30-486-voyage) I am trying to build them from the kernel-source. I am following the instructions found here [1]. When I do my make, I get the following error:

 CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
dnsdomainname: Unknown host
  LZMA    arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma
lzma: Cannot allocate memory
  LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o
ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma: No such file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

It seems that the ALIX boards with 256 MB/s of memory cannot create "arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma" becuase they run out of memory. Has anyone on this list encountered this problem before? I would prefer not to cross compile as it seems a little complicated when I just want to install batman-advanced. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Am I doing everything correctly?

Thanks
Dave

[1] http://wiki.voyage.hk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=voyage_kernel

Re: building the voyage kernel

Jon Meek
How about adding swap space on a USB disk (assuming it is an out of
memory issue)? When I build software for a Voyage system I always do
it on an external disk to save wear on the CF card.

Jon

2009/12/2 David Murray <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using the experimental build of voyage because I want to use
> open 802.11s which only comes with the latest kernel. However, I also want
> to try out Layer 2 batman or batman experimental which requires the kernel
> headers. As there are no headers for my kernel (2.6.30-486-voyage) I am
> trying to build them from the kernel-source. I am following the instructions
> found here [1]. When I do my make, I get the following error:
>
>  CHK     include/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
>   SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
>   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
> dnsdomainname: Unknown host
>   LZMA    arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma
> lzma: Cannot allocate memory
>   LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o
> ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma: No such file: No such file or
> directory
> make[2]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
> make: *** [bzImage] Error 2
>
> It seems that the ALIX boards with 256 MB/s of memory cannot create
> "arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma" becuase they run out of memory.
> Has anyone on this list encountered this problem before? I would prefer not
> to cross compile as it seems a little complicated when I just want to
> install batman-advanced. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Am I doing
> everything correctly?
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>
> [1] http://wiki.voyage.hk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=voyage_kernel

Re: building the voyage kernel

Nick L.
On 12/2/09, Jon Meek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about adding swap space on a USB disk (assuming it is an out of
>  memory issue)? When I build software for a Voyage system I always do
>  it on an external disk to save wear on the CF card.
>
>  Jon
>
>  2009/12/2 David Murray <[hidden email]>:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I am currently using the experimental build of voyage because I want to use
>  > open 802.11s which only comes with the latest kernel. However, I also want
>  > to try out Layer 2 batman or batman experimental which requires the kernel
>  > headers. As there are no headers for my kernel (2.6.30-486-voyage) I am
>  > trying to build them from the kernel-source. I am following the instructions
>  > found here [1]. When I do my make, I get the following error:

Excuse my newbie-ness, but would it not be possible to recompile a
Voyage kernel on another machine and copy over the .deb to the target
machine?

I ask this because I'm thinking about compiling a real-time Voyage
kernel for my Alix.

Re: building the voyage kernel

David Murray
Thanks for the replies.
Jon: I will try your suggestion.
Nick: I think you are correct but I have problems cross compiling across architectures. At this stage I would prefer not to cross compile.

Re: building the voyage kernel

Gustin Johnson

Re: building the voyage kernel

Punky Tse-2
Hi David,

The most easy to do is to install the SDK CD to VM (VMWare, Virtual Box
or qemu).  It included required package to build kernel as well.  Once
the deb is build, you can transfer the kernel deb to alix box and
install it.

See: http://linux2.voyage.hk/develop

Regards,
Punky

David Murray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using the experimental build of voyage because I want
> to use open 802.11s which only comes with the latest kernel. However,
> I also want to try out Layer 2 batman or batman experimental which
> requires the kernel headers. As there are no headers for my kernel
> (2.6.30-486-voyage) I am trying to build them from the kernel-source.
> I am following the instructions found here [1]. When I do my make, I
> get the following error:
>
>  CHK     include/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
>   SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
>   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
> dnsdomainname: Unknown host
>   LZMA    arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma
> lzma: Cannot allocate memory
>   LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o
> ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma: No such file: No such
> file or directory
> make[2]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
> make: *** [bzImage] Error 2
>
> It seems that the ALIX boards with 256 MB/s of memory cannot create
> "arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.lzma" becuase they run out of
> memory. Has anyone on this list encountered this problem before? I
> would prefer not to cross compile as it seems a little complicated
> when I just want to install batman-advanced. Can anyone give me some
> suggestions? Am I doing everything correctly?
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>
> [1] http://wiki.voyage.hk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=voyage_kernel

Punky

Voyage Solutions (http://solution.voyage.hk)
* Embedded Solutions and Systems
  - Mesh Networking, Captive Portal, IP Surveillance, VoIP/PBX
  - Network Engineering, Development Platform and Consultation