Quantcast

how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Alfonso Fiore
Hello,

I'm trying to setup wds using voyage 0.8.0 and an ALIX 3d3 with a
dcma81 (Atheros AR5414).

I first want to setup the wds from command line but every time I try a
iwpriv command I get "no private ioctls." error.

I'm not sure if this really my problem, but I read here (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/99432 ) that some
driver doesn't support iwpriv (despite the HW).

But now if I want to setup a bridge between wlan0 and eth0 what should I do?

/etc/network/interfaces suggests:

#auto br0
#iface br0 inet static
#        address 192.168.1.2
#        netmask 255.255.255.0
#        network 192.168.1.0
#        broadcast 192.168.1.255
#        gateway 192.168.1.1
#        bridge_ports eth0 wlan0 wlan0wds0
#        pre-up iwconfig wlan0 mode Master essid voyage-wds channel 1
#        pre-up iwpriv wlan0 wds_add AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

but it doesn't work due to iwpriv not working (and I need my wireless
to be in Managed mode, but this is irrelevant to this problem).

I tried to manually bring up wlan0 like this:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-driver wext
        wpa-ssid
        wpa-psk
        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
        wpa-pairwise TKIP
        wpa-group TKIP
        wpa-proto WPA
        wireless-mode Managed

and then manually creating a bridge but it doesn't work (and this is
why wds exists as far I understand).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
alfonso

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Gustin Johnson-2
First don't try to use iwpriv.

Second WDS stands for wireless distribution system.  You are essentially creating a repeater.  If this is what you want then look at hostap as you are also acting as an AP,

If you do not want your wireless card to also be an AP (you did say it had to be in managed mode), then just configure the wifi card as plain client.

To do this you need to have the following lines in your interfaces file for your wireless NIC:
wpa-ssid MySSID
wpa-psk someRanDoM_PSK

Of course you should put in your own SSID and PSK.

Once you are connected all you need to do is bridge the wireless NIC with the wired ones.

Hth,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Alfonso Fiore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

and thank you for your help!

This is what I'm trying to achieve:

(ISP wireless router - 192.168.1.1) <---wireless---> (ALIX setup as
bridge) <---wired---> (PC - 192.168.1.x)

I'd like my PC to have an address over the same network as all other
devices. If I could have the ALIX as a repeated AS WELL I would prefer
it since my XP laptop gets faster wireless from the ALIX (when
configured as AP) compared to my ISP router.
But let's consider this the next step.

> Once you are connected all you need to do is bridge the wireless NIC with the wired ones.

how can I achieve this?

I tried to configure both eth0 and wlan0 to have IP 0.0.0.0 (so that
br0 gets the address from my AP):

/etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.255
auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        wpa-driver wext
        wpa-ssid mySSID
        wpa-psk myPASSWORD
        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
        wpa-pairwise TKIP
        wpa-group CCMP TKIP
        wpa-proto RSN
        wireless-mode Managed

I know the configuration is correct because if I setup wlan0 with dhcp
I can connect to the AP and go on internet from the ALIX.

then I run:

# brctl addbr br0
# brctl addif br0 wlan0
can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported
# iw dev wlan0 set 4addr on
Failed to read classid file: Object not found (this error seems irrelevant)
# brctl addif br0 wlan0
device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
# brctl addif br0 eth0
device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
# ifconfig br0 up
# dhclient br0

but br0 never gets an IP from my wireless router.

I also tried to run "ping 192.168.100.254" from the PC and using
tcpdump on the ALIX I can see the ALIX probably never forwards the
DHCP request from eth0 to wlan0.

thank you,
alfonso

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Gustin Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First don't try to use iwpriv.
>
> Second WDS stands for wireless distribution system.  You are essentially
> creating a repeater.  If this is what you want then look at hostap as you
> are also acting as an AP,
>
> If you do not want your wireless card to also be an AP (you did say it had
> to be in managed mode), then just configure the wifi card as plain client.
>
> To do this you need to have the following lines in your interfaces file for
> your wireless NIC:
> wpa-ssid MySSID
> wpa-psk someRanDoM_PSK
>
> Of course you should put in your own SSID and PSK.
>
> Once you are connected all you need to do is bridge the wireless NIC with
> the wired ones.
>
> Hth,
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Alfonso Fiore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup wds using voyage 0.8.0 and an ALIX 3d3 with a
>> dcma81 (Atheros AR5414).
>>
>> I first want to setup the wds from command line but every time I try a
>> iwpriv command I get "no private ioctls." error.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this really my problem, but I read here (
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/99432 ) that some
>> driver doesn't support iwpriv (despite the HW).
>>
>> But now if I want to setup a bridge between wlan0 and eth0 what should I
>> do?
>>
>> /etc/network/interfaces suggests:
>>
>> #auto br0
>> #iface br0 inet static
>> #        address 192.168.1.2
>> #        netmask 255.255.255.0
>> #        network 192.168.1.0
>> #        broadcast 192.168.1.255
>> #        gateway 192.168.1.1
>> #        bridge_ports eth0 wlan0 wlan0wds0
>> #        pre-up iwconfig wlan0 mode Master essid voyage-wds channel 1
>> #        pre-up iwpriv wlan0 wds_add AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
>>
>> but it doesn't work due to iwpriv not working (and I need my wireless
>> to be in Managed mode, but this is irrelevant to this problem).
>>
>> I tried to manually bring up wlan0 like this:
>>
>> auto wlan0
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>>        wpa-driver wext
>>        wpa-ssid
>>        wpa-psk
>>        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>>        wpa-pairwise TKIP
>>        wpa-group TKIP
>>        wpa-proto WPA
>>        wireless-mode Managed
>>
>> and then manually creating a bridge but it doesn't work (and this is
>> why wds exists as far I understand).
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> alfonso

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Alfonso Fiore
Hi,

thank you for your help. I found an other solution which works.

This is the supposed topology:

(ISP wireless router - 192.168.100.254) <---wireless---> (ALIX setup
as bridge) <---wired---> (PC - 192.168.100.100)

I used proxy_arp:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
      address 0.0.0.0
      netmask 255.255.255.255
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      wpa-driver wext
      wpa-ssid <<Your_AP_SSID_Here>>
      wpa-psk <<cleartext_password>>
      wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
      wpa-pairwise TKIP
      wpa-group CCMP TKIP
      wpa-proto RSN
      wireless-mode Managed
      post-up route del -net 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
      post-up route add -net 192.168.100.128 netmask 255.255.255.128 dev wlan0
      post-up route add -net 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.128 dev eth0

then add to your /etc/rc.local:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/proxy_arp
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Alfonso Fiore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> but it doesn't work due to iwpriv not working (and I need my wireless
>>> to be in Managed mode, but this is irrelevant to this problem).
>>>
>>> I tried to manually bring up wlan0 like this:
>>>
>>> auto wlan0
>>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>>>        wpa-driver wext
>>>        wpa-ssid
>>>        wpa-psk
>>>        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>>>        wpa-pairwise TKIP
>>>        wpa-group TKIP
>>>        wpa-proto WPA
>>>        wireless-mode Managed
>>>
>>> and then manually creating a bridge but it doesn't work (and this is
>>> why wds exists as far I understand).
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> alfonso

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Just an fyi, you don't assign an IP to the wireless interface, you assign an IP to the bridge interface.

On Feb 2, 2012 9:13 PM, "Alfonso Fiore" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> but it doesn't work due to iwpriv not working (and I need my wireless
>>> to be in Managed mode, but this is irrelevant to this problem).
>>>
>>> I tried to manually bring up wlan0 like this:
>>>
>>> auto wlan0
>>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>>>        wpa-driver wext
>>>        wpa-ssid
>>>        wpa-psk
>>>        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>>>        wpa-pairwise TKIP
>>>        wpa-group TKIP
>>>        wpa-proto WPA
>>>        wireless-mode Managed
>>>
>>> and then manually creating a bridge but it doesn't work (and this is
>>> why wds exists as far I understand).
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> alfonso

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Hi Gustin,

thank you.

In my example I do NOT have a bridge interface. I don't use brctl at
all, so I think it's ok for wlan0 to have the IP address (since it
works).

For the sake of learning, I tried your solution but I didn't manage to
make it work. The bridge I create with brctl never gets an IP from
DHCP. If you have time to help me further, I can try again and learn
how to do it.

In my first reply to your post (On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM) I
explained the problem I faced in trying to implement your solution.

Maybe the bridge only works with a static IP?

cheers,
alfonso

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Gustin Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > # brctl addbr br0
>> > # brctl addif br0 wlan0
>> > can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported
>> > # iw dev wlan0 set 4addr on
>> > Failed to read classid file: Object not found (this error seems
>> > irrelevant)
>> > # brctl addif br0 wlan0
>> > device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
>> > # brctl addif br0 eth0
>> > device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
>> > # ifconfig br0 up
>> > # dhclient br0
>> >
>> > but br0 never gets an IP from my wireless router.
>> >
>> > I also tried to run "ping 192.168.100.254" from the PC and using
>> > tcpdump on the ALIX I can see the ALIX probably never forwards the
>> > DHCP request from eth0 to wlan0.
>> >
>> > thank you,
>> > alfonso

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Teco Boot
First, decide to bridged or routed.
I would take routed.

If routed, make two subnets working.
Your Alix should be able to ping both PC and
wireless router.
Use a smaller, /24 overlapping subnet for eth to PC,
e.g. 192.168.100.64/26 (includes PC with 192.168.100.100)
Alix WLAN IP adres could be 192.168.100.253, a /25.

Then activate proxy-arp on wlan0 and make sure ip forward
is enabled.

Default gateway on PC is Alix IP adres (e.g. 192.168.100.65)

Troubleshoot with arp and tcpdump, with arp filter.

If you can add static routes in the ISP wireless router, use
this instead of proxy-arp. If not, you always could use the
hammer.

Teco.

Op 4 feb. 2012, om 19:01 heeft Alfonso Fiore het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Gustin,
>
> thank you.
>
> In my example I do NOT have a bridge interface. I don't use brctl at
> all, so I think it's ok for wlan0 to have the IP address (since it
> works).
>
> For the sake of learning, I tried your solution but I didn't manage to
> make it work. The bridge I create with brctl never gets an IP from
> DHCP. If you have time to help me further, I can try again and learn
> how to do it.
>
> In my first reply to your post (On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM) I
> explained the problem I faced in trying to implement your solution.
>
> Maybe the bridge only works with a static IP?
>
> cheers,
> alfonso
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Gustin Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just an fyi, you don't assign an IP to the wireless interface, you assign an
>> IP to the bridge interface.
>>

>> On Feb 2, 2012 9:13 PM, "Alfonso Fiore" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> thank you for your help. I found an other solution which works.
>>>
>>> This is the supposed topology:
>>>
>>> (ISP wireless router - 192.168.100.254) <---wireless---> (ALIX setup
>>> as bridge) <---wired---> (PC - 192.168.100.100)
>>>
>>> I used proxy_arp:
>>>
>>> auto lo
>>> iface lo inet loopback
>>> auto eth0
>>> iface eth0 inet static
>>>      address 0.0.0.0
>>>      netmask 255.255.255.255
>>> auto wlan0
>>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>>>      wpa-driver wext
>>>      wpa-ssid <<Your_AP_SSID_Here>>
>>>      wpa-psk <<cleartext_password>>
>>>      wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>>>      wpa-pairwise TKIP
>>>      wpa-group CCMP TKIP
>>>      wpa-proto RSN
>>>      wireless-mode Managed
>>>      post-up route del -net 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>>      post-up route add -net 192.168.100.128 netmask 255.255.255.128 dev
>>> wlan0
>>>      post-up route add -net 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.128 dev eth0
>>>
>>> then add to your /etc/rc.local:
>>>
>>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp
>>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/proxy_arp
>>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Adrian Reyer
On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:12:59AM +0100, Alfonso Fiore wrote:
> This is the supposed topology:
> (ISP wireless router - 192.168.100.254) <---wireless---> (ALIX setup
> as bridge) <---wired---> (PC - 192.168.100.100)
> I used proxy_arp:

You have to use proxy_arp, according to my understanding.
WLAN WPA Client mode may only have 1 MAC address attached. But Bridging
works on the level of ARP/MAC-addresses and is doomed to fail.
IF you ever need a bridge, you just add the needed interfaces and
configure all IP-stuff on your brX-interface. In your special case it
didn't work as a wlan interface can't be added and so you ended up with
a br-interface that had no wlan-interface and as a result no
wlan-connectivity.
As you managed to get it up and running with proxy arp and your very
approach segmented the network in 2 segments, you should just use
routing instead with the alix box being a router between the networks.
You won't be able to move devices between the networks anyway.

MfG,
    Adrian Reyer
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91

Re: how to configure wds if iwpriv always reports "no private ioctls."

Gustin Johnson-2
I use a static IP.  Any sort of router or AP in my house or at work gets a static IP (I have not tried to use dhcp).  You might want to issue an "ip link set wlan0 up" before making the dhcp request.

I use one of my Alixs to provide connectivity to a distant room.  One wifi NIC is used as a client station to the wifi network, the other acts as an AP (using two wifi cards allows me to avoid the performance penalty of WDS).  I also bridge in the wired interfaces for non wireless devices.  Works well enough (wifi in general sucks but sometimes that is all you have).