mpd.conf and DSD files

jsalk
Is any special code required in the mpd.conf file in order to play DSD
files?

- Jim

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Punky Tse-2
On 4/5/2013 9:17 PM, Jim Salk wrote:
> Is any special code required in the mpd.conf file in order to play DSD
> files?

No, I just download the DSD files from 2l.no and put into ExD USB-DSD
interface.  It just works out-of-the-box.

But I believe that your mileage may vary, because of different
interfaces and DACs.

To all Voyage MPD users, does DSD work work for your USB-DSD
interface/DAC?  Please let me know what USB-DSD interface/DAC works or not.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Catalin Miu

I had to add in mpd.conf under audio output

dsd_usb         "yes"

without it mpd will resample the stream to 192000.

i'm using voyage mpd with Audiobyte SILVER DRAGON

the only two things that I had to change were mpd.conf, see above and install snd-usb-asyncaudio.

by the way in order to have the dsd files properly inported in mpd library I advise to retag the files with musicbrainz picard with dsd tagg plugin from here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/musicbrainz-picard-tagger-dsf-support-15475/

Catalin Miu

----- Message from Punky Tse <[hidden email]> ---------
   Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 21:38:06 +0800
   From: Punky Tse <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Voyage-linux] mpd.conf and DSD files
     To: Jim Salk <[hidden email]>
     Cc: [hidden email]

On 4/5/2013 9:17 PM, Jim Salk wrote:

Is any special code required in the mpd.conf file in order to play DSD
files?

No, I just download the DSD files from 2l.no and put into ExD USB-DSD interface.  It just works out-of-the-box.

But I believe that your mileage may vary, because of different interfaces and DACs.

To all Voyage MPD users, does DSD work work for your USB-DSD interface/DAC?  Please let me know what USB-DSD interface/DAC works or not.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
- Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
- Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
- Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

----- End message from Punky Tse <[hidden email]> -----

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

jsalk
I just received an Auralic Vega DAC which can handle DSD files.  But when I
play them, they are converted to 176.4 which is correct for DSD over PCM.
Does anyone know if there is a mod available to stream native DSD64 and
DSD128? Is anyone working on this?

- Jim

On 4/18/2013 11:05 PM, Jim Salk wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a mod available to stream native DSD64 and
> DSD128? Is anyone working on this?
I used Korg's AudioGate to convert my files to DSD64 and DSD128 to test
on my exD audio USB-DSD interface.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

jsalk
I have .dss and .dsf files already, so that is not the issue.  When playing
them back, they are converted to PCM at 176.4.  The Auralic Vega can handle
native .dss and .dsf files.  I was wondering if it is at all possible to
pass the files natively without having MPD re-sample them.  I have been
using Google to search on this, but I'm not coming up with anything.

There are MAC and Win apps that can pass the files natively.  But I want to
use MPD if at all possible.  Perhaps this is too cutting edge at this point,
but I'm sure others will want the same functionality.  I don't know if this
is an ALSA issue or an MPD issue (just not familiar enough with it at this
point).

- Jim

> Does anyone know if there is a mod available to stream native DSD64
> and DSD128? Is anyone working on this?
I used Korg's AudioGate to convert my files to DSD64 and DSD128 to test on
my exD audio USB-DSD interface.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Catalin Miu

Hi Jim,
In order to be able to stream dsd over pcm you should add the following to mpd.conf your device section:

dsd_usb         "yes"

please find below for exemplification my mpd.conf entry

audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "Rockna - Audiobyte Silver Dragon"
        device          "hw:0,0"
        dsd_usb         "yes"
}

Catalin Miu

----- Message from Jim Salk <[hidden email]> ---------

----- End message from Jim Salk <[hidden email]> -----

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

1audio
If you have MPD 17.2 or newer MPD doesn't resample but instead it repackages
the files into PCM frames using DOP when you have the following set:
        dsd_usb "yes" # enables DoP 1.0

It will also package DSD into PCM and send it over spdif (but only up to
192/ DSD64)

If you do not have that set and you do have the sample rate converters
enabled in mpd it will try to convert to PCM on the fly. Its obvious when
this is happening. Any of the following will be true. If you have an Alix or
an Atom processor and sinc_best is selected the system will stall. If
sinc_fastest, it will be noisy (and the Alix will still stall) if you  have
an i5/i7 at better than 2 GHz the processor use will spike near max. It
works but is not really the first choice I think.
        -Demian

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:05:37 -0400
> From: "Jim Salk" <[hidden email]>
> To: "'Punky Tse'" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Voyage-linux] mpd.conf and DSD files
>
> I just received an Auralic Vega DAC which can handle DSD files.  But when
> play them, they are converted to 176.4 which is correct for DSD over PCM.
> Does anyone know if there is a mod available to stream native DSD64 and
> DSD128? Is anyone working on this?
>
> - Jim

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

jsalk
Thanks.  I was able to play DSD files with the Auralic Vega by setting the
following:

usb_dsd  "yes"
mixer_type "disabled"

However, upon occasion, if a .ddf file plays to the end, MPD freezes.  This
does not happen in mid-song, only occasionally at the very end of a file.
In a playlist, for example, it fails to go to the next selection and I have
to restart MPD.

Any thoughts?

- Jim

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Punky Tse-2
Hi Jim,

All of the .dff samples files downloaded from 2l.no have the same problem.

I need to used Korg AudioGate to convert the file to .dsf to resolve.

Regards,
Punky

On 4/22/2013 10:09 AM, Jim Salk wrote:

> Thanks.  I was able to play DSD files with the Auralic Vega by setting the
> following:
>
> usb_dsd  "yes"
> mixer_type "disabled"
>
> However, upon occasion, if a .ddf file plays to the end, MPD freezes.  This
> does not happen in mid-song, only occasionally at the very end of a file.
> In a playlist, for example, it fails to go to the next selection and I have
> to restart MPD.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> - Jim

I have not played with it much since I got it working. Jurgen Kramer is the
guy who put it together. I have not heard many complaints but that may be
due to the real lack of content for the format. He can be found on the mpd
dev mail list:  [hidden email]  . The few
times I tried it I did not see that behavior.  What platform/motherboard and
what DAC are you using?
       Demian

Punky -

Is it possible to incorporate Jurgen's patches to MPD?  Or is this a bad
idea?

- Jim

All of the .dff samples files downloaded from 2l.no have the same problem.

I need to used Korg AudioGate to convert the file to .dsf to resolve.

Regards,
Punky

On 4/22/2013 10:09 AM, Jim Salk wrote:
> Thanks.  I was able to play DSD files with the Auralic Vega by setting
> the
> following:
>
> usb_dsd  "yes"
> mixer_type "disabled"
>
> However, upon occasion, if a .ddf file plays to the end, MPD freezes.
> This does not happen in mid-song, only occasionally at the very end of a
file.

> In a playlist, for example, it fails to go to the next selection and I
> have to restart MPD.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> - Jim

Not tried yet, please see the new mpd package with the hang workaround fix:

http://www.voyage.hk/dists/experimental/mpd/mpd_0.18.git20121124-2_i386.deb

Let me know if it works of not.

Regards,
Punky

On 4/28/2013 8:20 AM, Jim Salk wrote:
> Punky -
>
> Is it possible to incorporate Jurgen's patches to MPD?  Or is this a bad
> idea?
>
> - Jim

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

jsalk
Punky -

I installed it and have been playing the same files that hung MPD before.  I
have not had an issue since.

Perhaps we can get the other patches that Jurgen mentioned (.dsf pops and
DSD128 support) and I can test those as well.

Thanks much for your help on this.

- Jim

Not tried yet, please see the new mpd package with the hang workaround fix:

http://www.voyage.hk/dists/experimental/mpd/mpd_0.18.git20121124-2_i386.deb

Let me know if it works of not.

Regards,
Punky

On 4/28/2013 8:20 AM, Jim Salk wrote:
> Punky -
>
> Is it possible to incorporate Jurgen's patches to MPD?  Or is this a
> bad idea?
>
> - Jim

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Punky Tse-2
Hi Jim,

Where is the DSD128 and .dsf patch?  I can't find it anywhere.

On 4/30/2013 3:30 AM, Jim Salk wrote:
> Perhaps we can get the other patches that Jurgen mentioned (.dsf pops and
> DSD128 support) and I can test those as well.

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Linefader
I just completed the required setup to get DSD playback to work on my system.
I am using an old laptop (HP, Pentium M) running Fedora 19 and a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC.
I also have other computers but I'ld prefer to use that old Fedora laptop as my music server since I don't need it for any other purpose (thus, it can reside at the stereo system all the time).

Principally everything works fine with that setup: I am using MPD (version 0.18.4) on the server and several clients (Theremin on the Mac, MPoD on the iPhone etc.) to control the music. However, when I play high-resolution files (Flac > 96 kHz or DSD) after about 1 minute there are glitches and dropouts.

I already googled a lot on USB-dropouts and made the following plan, of what I'll try to do next weekend:

1) disconnect all other devices that are connected via USB to my laptop, such that only the Mytek uses the USB
2) plug a 2000mA-powered USB hub in between the laptop and the Mytek
3) increase the process priority of the music player (e.g. via "nice -n 10 mpd" on the command line) to keep it save from being interrupted by screen savers and the like
4) play with the buffering options (e.g. by putting period_size=50000 into mpd.conf - maybe someone has some more ideas here? What are good values for the audio_buffer_size and the buffer_before_play parameter?)
5) run some diognosys tools (http://wiki.winehq.org/MeasuringAudioLatency ) to check if there are DPC Spikes (if I find them: shouldn't the above two solutions solve this issue?)
6) run 'dmesg | less' to check whether there are enlightening log messages during the dropouts
7) upgrade the RAM of the laptop by plugging in new DDRs (the laptop has only 512 MB, but any DSF/DFF/FLAC file I tried should fit completely in there)

Do you have more ideas, what I could try?

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Punky Tse-2
Hi,

Please down grade to below mpd version and test again.

http://www.voyage.hk/dists/experimental/mpd/mpd_0.18.0git20130624-1_i386.deb

I did not test 0.18.4 for DSD functions.

One more question, where does your music files reside?

Regards,
Punky

   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Linefader
Hi Punky, according to http://github.com/lintweaker/mpd-dsd-018#mpd-dsd-018
MPD 0.18.4 should work, at least in Fedora (note that I am not using Voyage Linux).

However, I'll also try the MPD version you suggested.
Will I need to convert the deb-package to rpm (using 'alien') or can you point to a source for an rpm?

My music files are located on the laptops internal hard disc: a Fujitsu MHW2040AT with 4200 RPM.
But I already tried copying them to an external disc with better access times (a WD MyPassport with 7200RPM) and nothing changed.

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Linefader
I am still fighting with these dropouts. What I do not understand are the buffer_before_play and the audio_buffer_size parameters in mpd.conf. I set buffer_before_play to "100%' and tried 409600 (400 MB, my average DSF/DFF file size), half this value, the double size etc. for audio_buffer_size but my MPD (in 'top') always looks like this:
2357 user 0 -20 89888 13244 2772 S 1.7 2.8 0:03.07 mpd

only 2.7% memory usage on my laptop with 500 MB RAM.
Can anybody explain this?
What do I need to change to reserve as many memory for MPD as possible?

Re: mpd.conf and DSD files

Linefader
I still did not solve this issue. But maybe, I am one step further:
I noticed that I put the audio_buffer_size and buffer_before_play option in the wrong place (inside the mpd.conf audio_output-element). Since I moved them to the top level of mpd.conf, they take effect: I set the audio_buffer_size to 131028 and the buffer_before_play to 100%
And now I can see (in 'top') that mpd consumes almost 30% (29.5) of the available RAM
However, this did not solve the dropout problem.
Higher values for the audio_buffer_size were rejected.
Moreover, I noticed that the dropouts even occur with MP3-files, not only with DSD and FLAC (but with high-resolution sources, they are much more frequent).

So, I still do not know ..
.. why I cannot use all the available RAM
.. what I can do with the MPD-parameters buffer_time, period_time and max_output_buffer_size (I tried to play with them, but that did not lead to any noticeable change)

p.s. I also tried to disconnect from the WLAN, to play the music from a different hard disc, to change the nrpacks using modprobe .. but that all did not help. If nobody has a better idea, I guess, I'll have to replace that laptop :-(