problem regarding passwordless ssh with pubkey

problem regarding passwordless ssh with pubkey

G.Bitzer
Hi List,

I have installed VL 0.10 i386 on an Alix 2d3 for kind of an
infrastructure server. So far I'm very satisfied, most things work well,
but not all, which leads my to this ML :-)

Regarding passwordless ssh with pubkey authentication I always got:

Ignored authorized keys: bad ownership or modes for directory /root

when I do a ssh -v to the Alix.

Ownership of /root was wrong

drwx------  4 1000 1000  4096 Jun 18 14:38 root/

It should be:

drwx------  4 root root  4096 Jun 18 14:38 root/

which could be fixed by doing a

chown root:root /root/

Now it works. Maybe this should be fixed in 0.11

Re: problem regarding passwordless ssh with pubkey

Kim-man 'Punky' TSE-2
On 6/19/2015 3:37 PM, G.Bitzer wrote:
> Ownership of /root was wrong
>
> drwx------  4 1000 1000  4096 Jun 18 14:38 root/
Did you install by tarball distribution?  If so, did you use --numeric-owner param when uncompress the tarball?

Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
   - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
   - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
   - Voyage MuBox (http://mubox.voyage.hk)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)

On 06/19/2015 10:39 AM, Kim-man 'Punky' TSE wrote:
> On 6/19/2015 3:37 PM, G.Bitzer wrote:
>> Ownership of /root was wrong
>>
>> drwx------  4 1000 1000  4096 Jun 18 14:38 root/
> Did you install by tarball distribution?  If so, did you use
> --numeric-owner param when uncompress the tarball?

as far as I can remember I did use the --numeric-owner.

The prob regarding ping has the same cause, ownership of /bin/ping is
1000:1000, and should be root:root

On 6/19/2015 4:44 PM, G.Bitzer wrote:
> The prob regarding ping has the same cause, ownership of /bin/ping is
> 1000:1000, and should be root:root
My installation shows the uid and gid of ping is 0, which is root.

root@voyage:~# ls -lan /bin/ping
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 43056 Nov  8  2014 /bin/ping

On 06/19/2015 10:48 AM, Kim-man 'Punky' TSE wrote:
> On 6/19/2015 4:44 PM, G.Bitzer wrote:
>> The prob regarding ping has the same cause, ownership of /bin/ping is
>> 1000:1000, and should be root:root
> My installation shows the uid and gid of ping is 0, which is root.
>
> root@voyage:~# ls -lan /bin/ping
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 43056 Nov  8  2014 /bin/ping

now mine also ;-), but with the suid bit. Otherwise non-root pinging
does not work

I think I missed the --numeric-owner, I have a lot ownership 1000:1000.

Maybe I should reinstall all packages, to fix at least the ownership and
permissions of all files and dirs belonging to a pkg

On 6/19/2015 4:57 PM, G.Bitzer wrote:
> now mine also;-), but with the suid bit. Otherwise non-root pinging
> does not work
You can try if reinstalling iputils-ping could fix the setuid stick bits problem.

apt-get install --reinstall iputils-ping