soekris 4826 & building the iso

B S

soekris 4826 & building the iso

B S
I have 2 Soekris boxes, a 4501 and a 4826.  The kernel used in Voyage Linux cannot find the compact flash hard drive on these computers.  On the 4501, I was able to get around the problem by compiling my own kernel and writing it to the CF card.  Seems SCSI has to be completely removed from the kernel.  The CF memory is accessible at /dev/hda, not /dev/sda.

But, the 4826 does not have a slot for a CF card, instead, its CF memory is welded on the board.  So I have to PXE boot that machine.  I boot the Voyage iso in a virtual computer, and set it to respond to PXE boot attempts.  That boots, but it can't see the hard drive on the 4826, have to make a custom kernel.  To get a custom kernel, I have to change the iso image.

So far, I have not been able to build an iso image that works.  If I mount the iso image, copy everything to another directory, then recreate it with mkisofs, it boots in the virtualbox machine, and I see the first few lines, ending with "Loading, please wait...", but I never see the 3rd line, "INIT: version 2.88 booting", and eventually it drops to a shell with "(initramfs)" for the prompt.  I tried booting the Voyage sdk iso, and wasn't sure what to do next.

I also tried checking out the svn repository and running the build.sh script.  By the way, your instructions may have an error.  Should that be "apt-get install live-build" instead of "apt-get install live-helper"?  But then, I'm using Ubuntu, and the package names may differ slightly from Debian.  At any rate, the build script complained of 2 missing packages, "firmware-realtek" and "firmware-linux-nonfree".  The files they contain are present in Ubuntu, in differently named packages.  I really do not want to spend the time necessary to install Debian Linux in a virtual machine, but if that's the only way to build Voyage...